Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Custom retention periods

2000-08-15 07:21:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Custom retention periods
From: Michael Traves mtraves.news AT home DOT com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 07:21:39 -0400
I might be mistaken, but my understanding is that the backup expiration date
is calculated at the time the backup is written to the tape / catalog, and
is based upon the retention level set for that backup.  Therefore, if you
were to change the retention level defaults at a later time, you would only
affect the expiration of backups past that point -- not the expiration date
of backups that already occurred.

The comment about ending up with mixed expiration dates on a tape due to a
change in the retention level implies that you might end up with some jobs
with a 1 week expiration, and others with a 7 year expiration because of a
change in the retention level for a specific entry -- again, the expiration
date of a backup job doesn't change in this case either.

Cheers,

Mike