Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Custom retention periods

2000-08-15 11:31:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Custom retention periods
From: Pat Whelan pwhelan AT veritas DOT com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:31:34 -0700
This is just my two cents. I believe that the retention "level" and "date"
are two different things. While the "date" is determined at the time the
backup occurs, by adding the retention period to the current date, the
retention level is kept for other comparisons. So therefore, I think that,
once a backup has been written, its expiration "date" will remain constant
(unless you run bpexpdate with the recalculate option). Where as if you
change the periodicity of the retention level, you could end up with a tape
that has all the same retention levels, but mixed retention dates. So that
if you increase the retention period, there will be images on the tape that
will not expire when they should. And if you decrease the period, you will
have images expire before they should. Since I am not in development, I am
only basing this on my understanding of how NBU works. I could be completely
off base, and I hope someone from development steps and makes things
clearer.

"Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller --
Ditto

Patrick Whelan
Enterprise Consulting Services
[NBU (with extensions) and Storage Migrator for UNIX]
pwhelan AT veritas DOT com