Networker

Re: [Networker] EMC Networker Restore Capabilities

2013-08-09 11:09:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] EMC Networker Restore Capabilities
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT newtech DOT fi>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 18:09:05 +0300
On Friday 09 August 2013 07:12:39 stivermr wrote:
> I am fairly new to EMC Networker and UNIX. All of UNIX systems we have are
> for development purposes. We currently have some HP-UX, AIX, and Solaris. We
> actually still have a couple SGI Irix systems on but I am not worried about
> if they die.
>
> I have already restored a Solaris system using EMC Networker which was not
> that difficult. However, on HP-UX and AIX I have never restored a system. I
> have been doing some research trying to find out the best way to to make sure
> I can restore the root volumes. HP-UX has the ignite application and AIX has
> mksysb for create a backup of the root volume. After looking around at the
> systems none of them have tape drives or CD/DVD burners. None of the HP-UX
> systems have ignite installed on them. We do not have a NIM server for the
> AIX systems. My only guess is that our old UNIX admin reinstalled the OS and
> then used EMC Networker to dump the data back. Would this work for restoring
> the root volume?

HP-UX should be fairly straight forward, but AIX is a bit of a challenge as
creating
a new root volume will give it a unique ID. If you then just restore the files
onto that
your system will not boot as you just restored the SMIT database with the old
root-ID.
Then you will have to fiddle around with the database to change that ID.
Everything
else will work. Would be easy if it was a pure config file...

(I just hate configuration in databases ala registry....)

Best
Dag