Networker

Re: [Networker] Question regarding NetWorker's recovery strategy

2013-07-25 13:09:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question regarding NetWorker's recovery strategy
From: George Sinclair - NOAA Federal <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 13:01:35 -0400
Thanks for all the responses. :-)

Yes, I was thinking that doing something like this would probably involve having to maintain a static hostname for whatever server (maybe a virtual server) would be running the backups and possibly using NFS to keep things as abstracted as possible. I can certainly understand the need for security. It just seems like it would be a nice feature if the product could support backing up, say an archive, in the most abstract manner possible wherein hostnames, ids, etc. are moot, and recovering the data is not a security issue but perpetuity is. In other words, you might want anyone to be able to recover this data in the future, just like a tar archive but to minimize the work involved in doing that, e.g. not having to know what host, id, etc. was used to back it up. How that would be integrated into the product without compromising the current security model where folks do want (most of the time) the restrictions, I don't know. Maybe it could be an add-on, module, or possibly a separate product all together.

As was pointed out, using uasm could work, but I guess it would need to be used in conjunction with something like dd to actually get it to/from tape? But this presents a problem if this was a daily process and not a one-shot deal or an ad-hoc manual process. I think you'd have to dedicate a drive for this. Otherwise, you might end up overwriting a normal NW tape. Seems choreographing this with other operations that might be going on in the library could get tricky, not to mention keeping track of where on the tape you last left off in order to avoid overwriting, and, of course, spanning tapes, and cloning. But I guess NW could recover the data, even if dd was used to write it to tape, as long as uasm was used to package it first? That right? Would save set recover still work the same?