Networker

Re: [Networker] When does changing a browse/retention policy take effect?

2013-05-13 15:17:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] When does changing a browse/retention policy take effect?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 15:08:55 -0400
> First, I am in doubt whether the deletion of your obviously
> unimportant backups will really free as much index space as you
> need. But only you can check and verify this.

Expiring the daily backups of 1 client for 4 months yielded 367M of disk
space. Since I started with 2.1G free, that is a 17% increase in disk
space. I have 5 more clients to do, with the same date range to expire.
And that is before perhaps doing the clients with large client indexes.

> In general I think there are better alternatives to manage index space.
>  - One of course is to extend the disk space.

Not physically possible.

>  - One is to move the index to another location.

I have a machine with a drive that is about 4 times the size of the
current drive, that I want to migrate my NW server to. But it's having
network connectivity issues at the moment. When those are resolved, and I
can migrate my Networker to this new hardware, this problem goes away.
Until then, I need to keep disk space free on my current machine ...

>    I understand that you need to keep the backup for 7 years
> (retention) but do you really need to select a single entity (a
> file) via the CFI for an instant recovery when it is more than 1year
> old? -

I've have had to do so many, many times. Specifically for mail databases,
and archived mail databases. And also SQL databases.