Networker

Re: [Networker] What are the barcode requirements for Networker

2012-10-31 05:21:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] What are the barcode requirements for Networker
From: Tony Albers <Tony.Albers AT proact DOT dk>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 09:12:57 +0000
I usually call the virtual tapes something like V00001L4 if I'm emulating LTO4
tapes in my VTL. You might want to set vtapes the same size as your physical
tapes if you backup to vtl and clone to tape. Then you can even match labels if
you like i.e. V00002L4 has the same content as 00002L4.
However, most vtl vendors recommend vtape sizes from 50 to 500 GB, since the
space in the vtl file system is not reclaimed until used vtapes are relabeled.
So the smaller your vtape, the faster it expires and the sooner it is recycled.
Furthermore, avoid creating too many unlabeled vtapes in the vtl since nw will
always label an unlabeled vtape instead of recycling one. So you could end up
with an almost full vtl filesystem and still have unlabeled tapes but no space
to store data.

/tony