Networker

Re: [Networker] What are the barcode requirements for Networker

2012-10-31 15:07:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] What are the barcode requirements for Networker
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT newtech DOT fi>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:59:02 +0200
On Wednesday 31 October 2012 15:26:21 Tony Albers wrote:

> > Is the behaviour on a VTL really different than in a normal jukebox on this
> > one, Tony?
> > Cannot find anything in my docus on that and normally Networker always
> > prefers recyclable tapes to unlabeled ones.
> >

> No, it's exactly the same, NW always uses an unlabeled tape before
> recycling a tape. That's just NW's way of trying to preserve data you
> might want to use even though you've let it expire.

Nope, he is not.
An unlabeled tape is the last one in the flowchart. And only iff "auto media
management" is enabled.

The selection steps for a backup are:

1. Appendable mounted tape in required Pool
2. Appendable unmounted tape in required Pool
3. Recyclable tape in required Pool
4. Recyclable tape in other Pool (with suitable "Recycle to" and "Recycle from"
settings)
5. Unlabeled tape if "Auto media management" is turned on

Haven't tested all of those, but this is what the documentation says.

And the point 5 is definitely last.
Just thought that it for some reason might behave differently on VTL as the
"Virtual" also triggers
other different behaviour.

Best
Dag