Networker

[Networker] Backup Thruput with 10 Gbit NIC teamed with 1 Gbit for Fault-tolerance in Active/Passive mode

2011-09-29 19:41:54
Subject: [Networker] Backup Thruput with 10 Gbit NIC teamed with 1 Gbit for Fault-tolerance in Active/Passive mode
From: Sree <dalsc11 AT CELANESE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:41:25 -0400
Folks:

Config: Networker 7.6.1 - Windows 2008 - Proliant G7 32 GB RAM, recent-
model Cisco switch with limited 10 Gbit ports, many 1-Gbit ports.

Plan: High speed thruput for Backups over 10 Gbit LAN port, but need Fault-
tolerance by teaming with 1 Gbit network card.

Question: Can you Team 10 Gbit nic with 1 Gbit nic - in Active/Passive
configuration; 10Gb ACTIVE, 1Gbit Passive-mode. While 10 Gbit is
Active/Up, we would like full 10Gbit speed (do not want watered-down 1Gbit
performance on 10Gbit card, due to incorrect Teaming). What is the such
Active/Passive teaming for this 10Gbit and 1Gbit Active/Passive mode. If
it matters - these are HP Nics on Proliant G7 servers.

Details:
--------
Planning for a high speed data thruput onto our Networker AFTD device
which is capable of ingesting/writing upto 250 GBytes/second (over 2
Gbits/sec). So we obviously want to use its 10 Gbit card, and also put 10
Gbit card on StorageNode (which will also our Windows filer-server) for
best possible pipe performance.

We are limited on our Network switch/licencing on 10 Gbit ports. We are
only left with 2 10-Gig switch ports - one port for AFTD device, and the
other port going to StorageNode+FilerServer. Since we are going to have
limit of ONE 10 Gbps port on switch, we can't hope to Team/Bond another 10
Gbit card. All we have left on Cisco switch is 1 Gbit ports. We would like
to team 10 Gbit adapter with 1 Gbit adapter on our Windows Server --
 "Active"  using 10 Gbit card (at its peak speed), while team/bonding it
with 1 Gbit nic card in "passive" for Fault-Tolerance purpose.

Our "Goal" is get 10 Gbit Backup speed so long we can, but if 10Gb
card/nic/switch-port fails, we would like to be UP on the teamed 1 Gb
port. We would like Active/Passive mode running 10 Gbps active. We are
trying to AVOID load-balancing (which will most likely reduce 10 Gbps down
to 1 Gbps once teamed with 1 Gbit nic, YUCK!).

We would love to take advantage of the 10 Gig speeds for fast Backups.
Remainder of our network is 1 Gbps (teamed/ether-channeled for servers
802.3AD?) for performance and fault-tolerance. Our Cisco network-switch
has sufficient backplane bandwith.

Note: Our AFTD device is capable of Teaming, but we will keep it on single
10Gbit port, due to switch-port availability. Beside, its not as critical
as our Filer-Server+BackupNode.

Thanks
Sree