Networker

Re: [Networker] to delete a single folder or file from Tape

2011-02-27 16:04:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] to delete a single folder or file from Tape
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 21:03:00 +0000
Hi Kurian,

a) You cannot "browse" the individual files (or any other objects) contained on
a saveset looking at the media db. You need to use either
the "networker user" or "nwrecover" GUI  or the nsrinfo command ( CLI). They
will extract that information from the client file index (if there is no
index you won't be able to browse -- and if the index cannot be recovered then
it won't be possible to browse the NDMP savesets because
scanner cannot create index entries with NDMP savesets).

b) There is on need to clone all the savesets from a volume if you don't want
to. Create a list of the savesets using mminfo, then remove those
you don't want to clone. Use the nsrclone command to clone that list of
savesets  (you can put the list of savesets on an input file and tell
nsrclone to read the saveset list form it)

Please note:

You need to understand basic networker concepts like
 - saveset
 - client
 - pool
 - volume
 - label
 - cloning

and read the following manual pages:
- nsrclone
- mminfo
- nsrinfo
(they are well documented and certainly not rocket science)

You can find the networker manual pages on the command reference guide of your
version of Networker or on the online manual pages on
linux/unix (if the networker manual package is installed)

Once this is clear

1)  Use mminfo to produce a list of savesets

2)  you can list  the contents of a browsable saveset using nsrinfo with the
savetime or, alternatively, the "nsavetime" of that particular saveset
and client (whcih you should have printed using mminfo)

3) use nsrclone to clone the savesets from the source tape to the target clone
pool (make sure you have tapes labeled on the target). Use
ssid/cloneid syntax to indentify what particular saveset instances you want to
clone.

I hope this may help

 jee