Networker

Re: [Networker] to delete a single folder or file from Tape

2011-02-23 07:05:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] to delete a single folder or file from Tape
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 07:04:45 -0500
Kurian,

This isn't possible because tape is sequential media, not like disk. Maybe
someone else has a better idea, but the only way I can come up with to do
what your management wants is to restore everything you have on your tape
to a set of servers, then delete the files in question, then back up the
servers. Then relabel the original tape(s). As you can see, this is not
really practical. What is the retention period on your tape? If the
retention period for your tape is fairly sure, then the practical way is
to wait for the data to expire and then overwrite the tape.