Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem changing browse time on expired/scanned tape

2010-11-04 09:51:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem changing browse time on expired/scanned tape
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:50:57 -0400
> Hi Michael,
>
> The scanner -i may have run relatively long time ago (some time in July
or
> August?).

The "scanner -i" was run on Tuesday, Nov 2, actually. :-)

> If that was more recently then it didn't produce the index entries
> for that saveset/client because the browse time expired back in August.

The browse time had expired in August, yes.

> If the saveset is not browsable you cannot change its browse time
because
> there is no *online* file index to modify
>
> You need to recover the client file index using scanner or "nsrck -L7"
for
> the recoverable saveset .

"scanner -i" is supposed to rebuild the file index. That's why I don't
understand why I can't change the browse time after running the scanner
command; I should have had an online index, after the "scanner" command
finished.

> Try:
>   nsrck -L 7 -t  02/26/2010  mjrsfil002
>
> If there are backups of the correspponding index, this command should
recover
> and bring them back online with a browse retention in the future.
> ( mminfo will show if there are backups of the index of that client, if
not,
> you will need to run "scanner -i" on the tape containing the saveset)

There are indexes on that tape, yes.

Yes, that worked.

I will make sure my documentation is more clear on how to retrieve indexes
by using "mminfo" and "nsrck -L 7"; my co-worker used the instructions for
"scanner -i", for when the index is not on the tape.

Thanks