Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato 7.6.1 and NDMP backups

2010-09-29 13:04:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato 7.6.1 and NDMP backups
From: Clint Bullock <clint AT USG DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:03:54 -0400
On Sep 29, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Matthew Huff wrote:

> We recently upgraded from 7.5.3 to 7.6.1 and now all of our NDMP backups of
> our NetApp and Centera are failing with:
>
> * pur-sv-filer1-nsr:/vol/vol0/etc 5 retries attempted
> * pur-sv-filer1-nsr:/vol/vol0/etc 42794:nsrndmp_save: Performing backup to
> Non-NDMP type of device
> * pur-sv-filer1-nsr:/vol/vol0/etc 42652:nsrndmp_save: DSA save time could not
> be retrieved, exiting..
> * pur-sv-filer1-nsr:/vol/vol0/etc 6899:nsrdsa_save: Warning: Could not
> determine job id. Continuing ...
> * pur-sv-filer1-nsr:/vol/vol0/etc 39078:nsrdsa_save: SYSTEM error: Could not
> establish jobid with server.
> * pur-sv-filer1-nsr:/vol/vol0/etc
> * <ERROR> : Failed with error(s)
>
> I've reset the jobsdb, tried resetting the ndmp password, etc, but nothing I
> do seems to matter. Both are DSA backups, and have been working fine for a
> long time.
>
> Any ideas?

Hey Matthew,

We ran into the exact same problem after upgrading from 7.4.5 to 7.5.3.2 last
week (NDMP backups for NetApp and StorageTek NAS).  I worked with an NDMP
support engineer, and he said that other folks are having this issue, as well.
Engineering is working on a patch.  Even though the jobs are failing on the
NetWorker Management Console, we've found that we can manually run the jobs
from the command-line (i.e., using nsrndmp_save from shell access on our Linux
NetWorker server).  We've disabled the NMC jobs and setup cron jobs for the
NDMP backups until this gets fixed.

--
Clint Bullock
Storage Administrator