Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain dedup ratios

2010-09-21 16:55:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain dedup ratios
From: Kevin Malone <KCMALONE AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:54:17 -0400
It all depends on your data types. We initially were getting 12x
dedup.....until we introduced a backup of some data that a department here does
mapping, which is a lot of .tiff files.  That killed our dedup ration...dropped
it back to 7x.  We have since moved THAT data to AFTD since it eats up so much
of our DD raw space because it doesn't dedup well (it is about 3 TB, and we
only have about 14 on our target device).

What you are backing up...can you give more details?  Is it a lot of document
files, is it SQL backups, is it Virtual server backups.  Knowing that would
help us know if it's good or bad.

I can tell you right now we are getting 11x dedup on the target device with
SQL, documents, VCB backups of VMware virtual servers as the main component of
our backups.

The more data you backup and the longer you can keep it on the device,
obviously the better your dedup ratio.  If you have clone save sets to tape and
then delete them off the DD to save space, as we do after a few months because
of the retention period we have, then that will also drop your dedup ratio.

Kevin