Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain dedup ratios

2010-09-22 04:09:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain dedup ratios
From: Mats Atari <mats.atari AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 04:08:24 -0400
Hi!

First of all, there's no good or bad about de-dupe ratio. It's about how you
do it and what kind of files/save sets you send to the de-dupe device.

If you read best practices from DataDomain, you'll see a lot of hints.

I currently have a dedupe ratio pending from 17X-20X with 3 different backpu
servers backing up to the DataDomain. Doing full backup every second week.

Remember to (if on datadomain):
set the NetWorker filemarker to nw1
set the global compression to gzfast
separate save sets that are known not to dedupe well - for example RMAN
archlogs - to other devices if you can.
There also other known filetypes that should be sent to other devices, read
through the "best practices".
Besides that it is also about how you do, especially with application
modules.

My dedupe ratio is a compromize, for simplicity. If you want to you can gain
extremely "good" dedupe ratio depending no what you send to the device and
how. If you are lazy and just want to keep it as simple as possible, you'll
experience very low dedupe ratios.

The dedupe algorithm is the same for all the vendors more or less, so
there's no difference if you use DataDomain or not.