Networker

[Networker] Separating Backups Advice

2010-06-05 16:04:24
Subject: [Networker] Separating Backups Advice
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 07:16:38 -0400
> I want my daily backups to write to one tape label and my end of month to
> write to another. My daily backups consist of system backups and level 1
> backups of file shares. By end of month consist of full backups of just file
> shares.
>
> I have a media pool/tape lable for daily and selected the groups for this.
>
> Now I want a different tape label for EOM tapes, but not sure how to make
> sure that only file shares use this tape and do not conflict waiting for a
> different tape label.

You define media pools to allow for different type of backups to go to
different sets of media.

Pools can bed differentiated my many categories: groups, clients, savesets,
backup level.

When scheduled backups start, NetWorker will look at what needs to be backed up
from what group, client, saveset and level... and then try to find the pool
that closest matches these parameters.

If there is no pool that matches, it will use media from the Default pool.

Therefore, if you want your month end backups to go to a separate backup pool,
then one method is to create a new group for the month end, and create/uses
schedule suitable for this purpose.  Put that client in that group.  Then
define a new pool, and then link that group into that pool.[/quote]