Networker

Re: [Networker] Novell questions

2010-01-20 10:46:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Novell questions
From: Tom Birkenbach <tom.birkenbach AT WMICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:44:57 -0500
On other oddity I come across is the /etc/hosts file.  Seems we have to play
around with the ordering of the servers entry for servers with an underscore
in the name.  If you don't have servers with an underscore in the name, then
there's no problem.  If you do, and I have a few (as it was considered a
Novell "best practice" in "the old days"), then you have to reorder the FQDN
and alias names.

For example, you'd have "server_0" setup in the hosts file as:
192.168.1.10   server0.backup.acme.com   server_0

In order to do a restore, you'd have to reorder the hosts files as:
192.168.1.10   server_0    server0.backup.acme.com

I'm sure it has something to do with the FQDN and DNS not supporting the
underscore, but needing to reorder it seems odd.

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:34:25 -0500, Matthew Powell <mtpowel AT CLEMSON DOT EDU>
wrote:

>Thanks for taking the time to get back to me on this issue. I really
appreciate it. I was able to back up the Netware servers in question without
having to add anything to the server at all. I just made sure to use the
appropriate userid that the Novell NDS has listed as able to back up the
Netware boxes.