Networker

Re: [Networker] change tape media with (R) designation

2009-09-24 12:36:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] change tape media with (R) designation
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:30:25 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] change tape media with (R) designation, David...:

I have inherited a NetWorker 7.2.1/B311 (Red Hat Linux) configuration.
This is a remote system (6+ hour drive), so I'm a bit limited in what I
can do.

I seem to be getting a lot of 'Waiting for X writable volumes to backup
pool Y' messages. In nwadmin > Media > Volumes..., there are a lot of
LTO-2 tapes with a 'recyc' Mode and an 'expired' status, but they have an
(R) in their volume name.

Is there any way to reset their read-only status manually? AFAICT, they
should be usable, but NetWorker doesn't want me to use them.

Yes, but it's likely not going to matter.  NetWorker *will* happily
recycle tapes that are marked as read-only.  What it won't do is recycle
tapes that are marked as "manual".

You can try using

        nsrmm -o notreadonly VOLUMENAME

but I don't think that's going to be the magic bullet to get NetWorker to
start using these.

Tim
edu