Networker

[Networker] FW: NDMP directed recovery issue [Resolved - 7.5.1 Admin guide Documentation missing/typo]

2009-06-26 09:18:51
Subject: [Networker] FW: NDMP directed recovery issue [Resolved - 7.5.1 Admin guide Documentation missing/typo]
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:12:20 -0400
Hi, just to follow up on this, I was able to get it resolved last night
with EMC's help, and I am now able to successfully restore NDMP backups
and get all proper NT/Windows ACL's for both directories and files back.

The combination of issues we had that caused only file permissions to be
restored are listed below:

1. Missing OPTIONS=NT in the NW NDMP client information tab (Application
Information) - Thank you Stan , not sure how I ever missed that - Could
it be newer(?!)

2. If you are running NW on Windows, (Not sure about Solaris, sorry!?) ,
you also need to set a new SYSTEM environment variable on the server
itself in Windows:

NSR_NDMP_RECOVER_DIR=y

(This is done by right-clicking "My Computer", click "Properties",
"Advanced" tab, then "Environment Variables" on the bottom).

I asked that EMC update/fix the manual, and of course add that for us
windows folks, as this is what ensures backups/restores of dir perms on
Windows directories, otherwise they get restored with "Everyone/Full
Control"... so ... yeah.. kind of important to put it mildly!

3. Found and verified typo in the NW 7.5.1 Admin guide - Page 574, Table
106, it says:
OPTIONS=NT Yes for ACL restoration

This value must be set to make sure all ACLs are recovered when NT data
is
contained in the backup path.

In addition to setting this variable, axttrp must exist in the
/nas/server/slot_#/netd file.
** Correction - the name of the attribute in the Celerra control
station's netd file is supposed to be xattrp, not axttrp ! **

In any event, I'm just very glad we found this issue before a real
disaster struck.. lesson learned (again!) - TEST, TEST, TEST!

Regards and thanks as always,
Jamie