Networker

[Networker] Is saving indexes to disk a good idea?

2009-06-09 14:22:08
Subject: [Networker] Is saving indexes to disk a good idea?
From: Tom Birkenbach <tom.birkenbach AT WMICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 14:16:34 -0400
I'm trying to come up with a disk-to-disk-to-tape backup scheme and am
wondering if backing up indexes and bootstrap to disk is a good idea.

I can see where it could be OK if they (indexes and bootstrap) would be
cloned to tape.  However, if I were to use staging rather than cloning, then
I could potentially have my indexes and bootstrap on disk only or tape only.
 Having a clone seems like a good idea to me, but I'm running into
limitations with cloning, that being that there can only be one cloning
session at a time where the source is my disk system (advanced_file_type_disk).

A potential workaround could be to setup a tape pool that included the
saveset "index".  I'm not sure if I would specifically list the index for
each and every client or if a wild card "index*" would work.  Additionally,
what of cloning bootstrap?  Again, this would be a single copy but it would
be a different source other than the disk system where I could clone to
another tape.  It defeats part of the reason to have a disk system so I have
immediate and fast access to recoveries.

I'm still learning this product, so please forgive me if my questions seem
laughable.  I'm just fishing for input and thoughts on the design, setup and
installation of a disk-to-disk-to-tape backup scheme.  Your thoughts and
input are welcome!  Thanks!

-Tom B.