Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP restore results in no data

2009-03-27 10:11:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP restore results in no data
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 01:04:47 +1100
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Rachel Polanskis wrote:

We are starting to think it might be the fact that a dump level 3.2TB filesystem is just not scalable enough to recover, which is why we replaced the whole setup and buit in more discrete filesystems and so on.

Hi,
I got our SAN admin to review the config of the CIFS filesystem and we made some minor changes.

Then I used the UNIX recover command shell to browse & restore a directory from March 2007 with 88Gb of data in it. The response took about 30 minutes and we had the directory back. So now I suspect that we had the following issues:

1) recover by SSID seems impossible - the system scans the volume list for 30 hours and does nothing but create an empty directory.

2) The CIFS datamover had some misconfiguration that was probably an oversight.

3) The Windows client would not work properly at all. I presume it was trying to store a gigantic file list that ultimately locked up the system over and over so it was useless for a recover.

4) The UNIX recover shell seems to be the only way to get the data back, in chunks. I don't mind doing it this way as long as it works.

Thanks for the help!  We were getting quite worried.

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT