Networker

Re: [Networker] Very large filesystems backup

2008-11-10 11:01:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Very large filesystems backup
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:58:24 -0500
 We solved this problem by having 2 client definitions.  The first
client has the save sets listed to be backed up and the directive is a
general one appropriate for the OS and file system.  The second client
definition uses the ALL save set, but uses a custom directive that lists
all of the previous save sets with skip.  This way the second client
will catch any new save sets that were not specified.  This handles
communication issues between the admins and the backup admins, creates
parallelism for backups, and generally covers one's backside.  The worst
thing that can happen is that something gets backed up that you don't
want.

Patti Clark
DOE/OSTI