Networker

Re: [Networker] best way to configure a VTL

2008-11-10 07:37:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] best way to configure a VTL
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:38:10 +0000
mark wragge wrote:
What is the best way to configure a HP VLS6200 virtual tape library in an
environment where I have one networker server and 4 networker storage nodes? I
can think of three options.
(1) I am thinking that the best way to configure this is to create one tape library and 10 virtual tape devices. I will then present 2 virtual tape devices to each of the storage nodes and server. (2) One other option is to create one virtual tape library and 4 virtual tape devices. I will then configure the tape devices as shared tape devices that are presented to the 4 storage nodes and server (3) another option is to create 5 virtual tape libraries and each library will have 2 virtual tape devices. one library will be presented to each of the storage nodes and server. Any comments on the 3 options above are greatly appreciated.

The only sensible option is option 1. It makes no sense to share virtual tape drives (option 2), the only reason for sharing tape drives is that they are a limited resource, and in the case of virtual tape drives they are not limited.

3 is just going to complicate your environment unnecessarily. Go with 1.