Networker

Re: [Networker] Can I restore *just* directives?

2008-07-17 08:50:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can I restore *just* directives?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:47:30 -0400
Stan Horwitz <stan AT temple DOT edu> wrote on 07/17/2008 08:43:00 AM:

> On Jul 17, 2008, at 8:22 AM, MIchael Leone wrote:
>
> > My NetWorker server somehow becames do incredibly corrupt, that even a
> > mmrecov didn't help (I think it's actuallly an OS issue, as my server
> > would slow down so much that NW woulld lose connectivity to itself,
> > the
> > console would shut down, a couple times it even rebooted.
> > Anyway ....). So
> > I have completely rebuilt my NW server, manually adding clients, jobs,
> > etc.
> >
> > I used to have a set of directives, that would ignore certain open
> > files
> > (temp files, locks, etc). Unfortunately, during my attempts at
> > fixing, I
> > had to mmrecov my old server with an older tape, and they all got
> > written
> > over. But I have other bootstrap tapes from before the corruption
> > started,
> > that should have the directives on them.
> >
> > SO my question - how can I retrieve *just* the directives from my old
> > bootstrap tape? I don't trust the validity of the mm database (hence
> > my
> > clean break, and re-install, and Tech Support concurred), but I really
> > don't feel like re-entering all the directives. So is there any way to
> > restore just the directives, and re-direct them to a new directory?
>
> Move the recovered /nsr/res file to a different machine,

OK .. recover how? These are on the bootstrap tape? I'd need to scan the
tape first, into ... the new server, then run a directed restore somewhere
else? I have my new server almost all setup (except for the directives).
Are you saying to install a 3rd NW server (the old server, currently not
running, the new replacement server, and a temporary server as the target
for the restore?

Thanks for the help, and sorry if I'm being obtuse.