Networker

[Networker] Benefits of 7.4 SP2 with Capacity License

2008-06-24 03:24:19
Subject: [Networker] Benefits of 7.4 SP2 with Capacity License
From: Graeme Cowie <graeme.cowie AT NTLWORLD DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 03:14:50 -0400
Hi Networker,

I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me some advice with
regards to our Networker environment.

We have recently upgraded from Networker 7.3.3 to 7.4.2 on Windows, we
have a number of general and dedicated storage nodes based at two sites
where we have an EMC Disk Library 710, each Disk Library has a 128 slot
ADIC 2000 configured.

When we were at Networker 7.3.3 we were advised due to licensing that we
could only use one VTL slot license per site as this is what we had paid
for, hence the reason for having only one VTL per Disk Library - EMC have
now moved us to a capacity license with the upgrade to 7.4.

Under 7.3 we had to assign the configured VTL's to a storage node at each
site that would act as a controller for all the other storage node drives,
however if we shutdown the storage node at the remote site that has the
VTL config - Networker then has no control over the library and therefore
we can't backup or restore anything while the storage node is offline
unless we re-attach and re-config the VTL to another storage node.

Now that we are on a capacity license, would it be feasible and beneficial
for us to create multiple VTL's on the Disk Libraries and assign them to
multiple storage nodes per site?  This I think would resolve the single
point of failure and give us flexibility. As I understand it I can now
create as many VTL's as I like.

Regards,

Graeme