Networker

Re: [Networker] cloning save sets to LTO4 vs LTO2

2008-05-13 12:14:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] cloning save sets to LTO4 vs LTO2
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 12:05:57 -0400
I have a similar setup. We have four 8TB partitions and two LTO-4 tape drives on an IBM 3650 (running RHEL 4) and I see (as reported by NMC) speeds up to 140MB/s. The LTO-4 tape drives are point-to-point attached to QLogic 4Gb dual port HBA's. We have two of the HBA's and connect one port to a tape drive and one port to the Nexsan SATABeast controller on each one.

So, as long as your storage node/server has enough cpu power to push the data and your disk devices can read that fast, yes, you'll see better throughput with the LTO-4 drives.

Frank