Networker

Re: [Networker] [Re: scanner failing]

2008-05-12 20:02:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] [Re: scanner failing]
From: Scotty Lippold <wsl AT CYPRESS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:59:01 -0700
Tim Mooney wrote:

What does

    mt -f /dev/rmt/2cbn config

report?  Also, since this was a freshly installed server, have you applied
relevant patches, especially any st-related patches?  Since the system can
write to tapes and recover/read them, it still seems to point to a blocksize
mismatch between your new config and your old tapes.

Tim

Hi Tim. Solaris 9 doesn't like the config option to mt. I think you meant status?

bambam# mt -f /dev/rmt/2cbn config
mt: unknown command: config
bambam# mt -f /dev/rmt/2cbn status
Vendor 'HP      ' Product 'Ultrium 2-SCSI ' tape drive:
   sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense   residual= 0   retries= 0
   file no= 0   block no= 0
bambam#

I haven't patched the server at all. Since I don't have Sun support I'll check and see if they have any "free" ones.

I may be having some issues with the Qlogic drivers though that lead to my block size problem. I may have gone too far when I put the 64 bit versions in. I'll try running just the 32 bit and report back.

Matthew Robert wrote:

Hi Scotty,

Just noticed that DD reported the following at the start of the dump "bus device reset detected during set position" which means that although the dd dump has worked, the actual tape read operation has failed. Typically I only ever see those block size errors when there is a SCSI Bus problem..

Ah ha! That may be the driver?

Thanks much, Scotty.

W. Scott Lippold  -  Are we having fun yet?
Staff Systems Administrator wsl AT cypress DOT com
Cypress Semiconductor, Inc.    408/943-2127