Networker

Re: [Networker] How to query for whether a volume is mounted?

2008-05-06 13:42:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to query for whether a volume is mounted?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:39:08 -0400
Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PeeVRo.co DOT uk> wrote on 05/06/2008
01:25:18
PM:

> MIchael Leone wrote:
> > Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PeeVRo.co DOT uk> wrote on 05/06/2008
12:24:37
> > PM:
> >
> > On Windows, you define the cluster resource (i.e., the disk drive,
which
> > is on my SAN), and then assign it to a virtual server. This virtual
server
> > is then "owned" by a specific physical node. And only the "owner" of
the
> > resource sees it.
> >
> > So if "SAN2" has a resource of drive X:, and it's hosted on
ADMNSAN002,
> > then node only ADMNSAN002 sees it.
>
> Is it not possible to define the device as "rd=SAN2://X:" ?

Dunno; never tried that. :-) As I say, our configuration was set by EMC,
who came out and installed/configured everything originally, last year.
And they state that Best Practices is that each physical node have it's
own Storage Node license and it's own disk space, allocated from the SAN.

I get the impression (but only an impression, as I haven't asked EMC) that
NW doesn't work this way on Windows. That for some reason, the disk space
must be defined and labeled from each physical node separately, else NW
doesn't use/see it properly. I personally would love to do it from the
virtual server (SAN2, in this example), but I don't have a spare cluster,
spare disk space, or spare storage node licenses to test with.

If EMC is listening, perhaps they could expound on why they advocate that
each node must have it's own disk space and storage node license, in a
Windows cluster, as opposed to just needing it for the virtual server(s)
defined on the cluster. There may be some OS specific reason.

> > So, when the virtual
> > server moves from one to the other, I have to manually dismount the
> > NetWorker defined volume for the node, and then mount the other
NetWorker
> > defined volume, for the other node.
>
> What happens if the cluster fails over in the night? Do you get paged
> out or do your backups just fail?

It fails. :-( (as it happened last night) We're between monitoring
programs at the moment (don't ask), so I didn't get paged to connect
remotely, and dismount/mount NW volumes, and restart the backup job.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM