Networker

Re: [Networker] Library/Drive Names getting shuffled by Windows.

2008-03-12 09:39:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Library/Drive Names getting shuffled by Windows.
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:35:11 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
03/11/2008 07:54:47 PM:

> All set that is until you have to replace a drive unless you can force
> it to take the serial number of the failed drive.

True. But replacing a drive should happen less often than a reboot,
especially under Windows ...

> Today at 6:06pm, Matthew Huff wrote:
>
> > What's generally called "drive persistence" is a fiber channel
> feature that under unix maps a Fiber Channel WWN to a fixed unix
> device name. In windows, even with fiber channel drivers that
> support "persistence", it merely maps the FC WWN to a lower level
> device, however Windows "Plug & Player" driver will re-number the
> device on top of that, so \\.\tape0 , etc could be a different drive
> each time (although normally it won't be, it's usually when
> something in the order changes, the drives get renumbered differently.
> >
> > However, once you use either the IBM tape driver or Microsoft new
> fix then the drivers will get created like \\.\tapeSERIALNUMBER so
> that no matter what order they get created by the Plug & Play
> driver, they will always have the same name. After the reboot you
> will have to edit your jukebox with the new drive names, but you
> should be set.

I am not sure how to do that - I've deleted and added the jukebox, but
never had to edit one, to change a device name or configuration. What
would I need to do?

Windows.

> > Ok. So I am also afflicted with this "dev shuffle" issue. After
looking
> > at this "hotfix", and comparing to our NW 7.4 windows 2003 r2 (patched
> > via windows update last week), I see I have a version number that is
> > much higher on tape.sys, so needless to say, after running regedit, I
> > see I also have the
> > \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Tape\Persistence
> > value there, but alas it was set to 0 ... :(
> >
> > So I changed it to a 1. I'm not in a position to reboot right now
> > (backups are running), but I will indeed reboot it tomorrow to see if
> > the tape0-3 device names in winblows get shuffled again.
> >
> > Anyhow, I'm certainly not installing some hotfix that is from last
july,
> > and are obviously outdated, given the versions on our server and the
> > ones in these kb's.. So, I'll let you know... I'm actually kind of
> > baffled this problem still exists at all to be honest. I had to fight
it
> > for years with a physical (pos) hp msl series library with 6 drives.
:\