Networker

[Networker] Limit on number of savesets in an nsrclone?

2008-03-07 11:38:36
Subject: [Networker] Limit on number of savesets in an nsrclone?
From: Ian G Batten <ian.batten AT UK.FUJITSU DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:35:23 +0000
I'm in the process of binary chopping to find the limit, but it appears that there is a limit to the number of savesets I can reference in an nsrclone -S -f /file/name (Networker 7.3.3 on Solaris 10). 175 is OK, while 250 is too many.

I have a script which implements a policy of writing a daily tape of activity in a given pool, but not deleting the files until a week has passed. Recently we wrote a lot of savesets during one day, taking the amount of activity to go to tape at night over the magic threshold, from which there is no return. nsrwatch shows the clone job start (cloning session: XXX save sets reading from...) but then immediately reports completion, while the client sees the messages below.

/etc/tools/clonetotape.test: saving 313 savesets from IncrementalsStaging.003.RO to Incrementals... + nsrclone -b Incrementals -s backup-srv.ftel.co.uk -S -f /tmp/ clonetotape.test.25004 nsrclone: RPC error: RPC receive operation failed. A network connection could not be established with the host.
nsrclone: Cannot open nsrclone session with backup-srv.ftel.co.uk
nsrclone: Cannot open nsrclone session with backup-srv.ftel.co.uk. Error is 'RPC receive operation failed. A network connection could not be established with the host.'
nsrclone: Failed to clone any save sets