Networker

[Networker] "Probe" errors when trying to back up remote client

2008-03-06 13:32:21
Subject: [Networker] "Probe" errors when trying to back up remote client
From: bbemis <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:29:49 -0500
We have a remote site with a Windows 2003 Server that we're looking to back up.
We're running Networker 7.4sp1 on a Win2003 box connected to an autoloader.
I've installed the client on the remote box, and have edited the "hosts" file
on both machines to reflect IP's and machine names for our NW server as well as
the client. When I go to run a backup from the server, it fails with the
following error in the daemon.raw log file:

clientname:Probe Cannot determine status of probe process.  The log file is
empty.
clientname:Probe 1 retry attempted

There is a firewall in front of the client as well as in front of the server,
but as far as I can tell, I have the correct ports opened, and the connections
are getting through (nothing getting dropped in the firewall logs).

Also worth noting, I can run a manual backup from the client without any
problems... just not from the server.

Any ideas? Could this be caused by the connection timing out or something? The
remote site is on a DSL line, but I can remote into it without noticing any
slowness issues. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.