Networker

Re: [Networker] VCB proxy as a storage node

2007-12-18 11:15:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] VCB proxy as a storage node
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:06:06 -0500
Hi Mark

I'm glad the information was helpful.

"From your information i take it that i can now connect the CDL to the Tape SAN
and configure it to use the shared tape devices (or does it require ownership
of the tape devices)?"

It depends on what software inside the EDL uses the tape devices.

If you use the EDL export function, then you MUST NOT share those tape devices
with another system.  The reason for this is that the export function assumes
and demands sole ownership of the devices; it can not share.  If those tape
devices are  shared with another system, you WILL have data loss when the two
applications (which don't know about each other) write to the same tape device.

If you use the embedded NetWorker storage node, then you can share, using
either DDS or a method where some drives are controlled by the EDL, and other
drives in the same library are controlled by another storage node.  Standard
NetWorker configuration options apply.

" I will then be able to backup data to the CDL and clone to the existing tape
library using 2 different retention policies for each copy of the data."

Yep, if you use NetWorker to do the cloning.

"I will ofcourse have to make sure that our current CDL supports this function "

The only thing you would need to add is the EDL storage node option, which is a
software license installed via the EDL Console.

"and will have to provide a fibre card for the CDL to connect to the tape SAN."

Nope.  It's already in there.  All EDL servers have Fibre Channel ports that
can be used for either connection to physical tape devices (FC port in
initiator mode), or for connections to the SAN for offering virtual tape
devices (FC port in target mode).  No hardware can be added inside the EDL.
It's an appliance, like a refrigerator.  See the EDL documentation (available
at http://powerlink.emc.com) for configuration information

Thanks
tl