Networker

[Networker] Changing from storage node to regular client?

2007-11-27 10:24:34
Subject: [Networker] Changing from storage node to regular client?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:15:19 -0500
So I have a couple Win2003 storage nodes, that don't need to be storage
nodes anymore; they can become regular clients. (this will allow me to
re-assign the disk space that these storage nodes are using, to other
storage nodes that need it more). Eventually (soon) these servers will be
retired; until then, tho, they can just be regular clients and I can back
them up directly to tape.

SO:

1. Do I uninstall NetWorker, and then re-install and specify just client,
and not storage node? Does this require a reboot on Windows (doubtful)?
Doing this will cause the host ID to change, tho, and so I'd need to
contact EMC licensing and get a new authorization code?

or:

2. Is there a way to "downgrade" a storage node to being just a client,
without having it's host ID change, and without a reboot? I'd probably
have to re-create the client in NetWorker master server, but that
shouldn't be a big deal.

Am I missing anything here? Anything else to be aware of?

Thanks

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM