Networker

Re: [Networker] Changing from storage node to regular client?

2007-11-27 13:20:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Changing from storage node to regular client?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:01:34 -0500
Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PeeVRo.co DOT uk> wrote on 11/27/2007
12:34:39
PM:

> MIchael Leone wrote:
> > So I have a couple Win2003 storage nodes, that don't need to be
storage
> > nodes anymore; they can become regular clients. (this will allow me to

> > re-assign the disk space that these storage nodes are using, to other
> > storage nodes that need it more). Eventually (soon) these servers will
be
> > retired; until then, tho, they can just be regular clients and I can
back
> > them up directly to tape.
> >
> > SO:
> >
> > 1. Do I uninstall NetWorker, and then re-install and specify just
client,
> > and not storage node? Does this require a reboot on Windows
(doubtful)?
> > Doing this will cause the host ID to change, tho, and so I'd need to
> > contact EMC licensing and get a new authorization code?
> >
> > or:
> >
> > 2. Is there a way to "downgrade" a storage node to being just a
client,
> > without having it's host ID change, and without a reboot? I'd probably

> > have to re-create the client in NetWorker master server, but that
> > shouldn't be a big deal.
> >
> > Am I missing anything here? Anything else to be aware of?
>

> There's not really much you need to do. If you remove the tape or disk
> devices attached to this machine in NetWorker it is no longer a storage
> node.

AH. Good, so no need to recrate client definitions, groups, etc.

> There is no real need to de-install the storage node package from the
> machine, unless you are desperately short of space or it offends your
> sense of tidiness.

No, I'm not short of space (on that storage node); I just want to make
sure NetWorker won't write to the storage node disk drive first, before
writing to the NetWorker server disk. The storage node should just because
a regular client. So I shouldn't need to touch the storage node itself?
(no re-install of NetWorker software so it knows not to try and be a
storage node anymore, and to instead just be a regular client)?

> There is certainly no need to delete and re-create the client resource.
>
> So because of this there is no need whatsoever for a reboot.

Excellent. I will try this now. Thanks!