Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup Master Server - Redundancy

2007-08-09 05:04:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup Master Server - Redundancy
From: Stuart Whitby <swhitby AT DATAPROTECTORS.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:59:43 +0100
> My thought was that if we had issues with the first Jukebox, or server,
> we could troubleshoot it while the 2nd one just keeps on going...Again,
> I just want to do the right thing, and the incompatibility is a big obstacle.

If that's what you're looking to do, a bog-standard cluster in active/passive
should be fine.  Just connect the jukebox to both using the same connections
and drive/robot names and ordering and fail over between them.  If you're
thinking about using a second server just in case the first one falls over,
you're talking about a *LOT* of hassle to amalgamate the two servers onto one.

The other option would be to install the server software on it and use it as a
storage node with a failover script available which will run lots of nsradmin
to disable all of the original server's resources and continue to run NW there
until it's back online.  Or just get a reasonable support contract on your
primary server's hardware.... ;)

Cheers,

Stuart.