Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup Master Server - Redundancy

2007-08-09 18:32:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup Master Server - Redundancy
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:27:30 +0300
Howard, Patrick wrote:
At this point, then, what the best use of this 12 Drive Jukebox that I
am paying maintenance on.

I see. So, you are frustrated by the fact that you have a great hardware laying around with no use. You have an extra piece of hardware and you want to fit it back into your Networker puzzle. Is this description correct ?

  Let me ask you a few more questions:

How much money would you need to invest in hardware and licenses for running this library ?

  What is the maintenance cost of the library ?

  Can the above be described as 'throwing good money after bad money' ?

  What is the life expectancy of the library ?

What would you do with the extra hardware and licenses after your library will end its paid maintenance term ?

Do you have a DR site ? Is the library already there ? How much money would it cost to pack and ship it to another site ?

I would presume then to make a storage node to hang off of my existing
master?

That is an option. You still need licenses for these. Can you connect it to your existing server ? Is the library capable of iSCSI ? Is iSCSI's performance acceptable ?