Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrclone

2007-05-04 12:56:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrclone
From: "Landwehr, Jerome" <jlandweh AT HARRIS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 12:55:56 -0400
> Looks like we found another 'bug?' with the CDL last night too. It is
trying to load a virtual
> volume in a virtual drive but can not read the label. It then makrs it
as unlabeled and put's
> it back in the virtual slot. It then tries another and same thing.
Then another and another
> until we are out of volumes and backups stop. We have opened a bug
with that too and EMC has
> acknowledged that it is a bug. It is on the hardware side so NW is
waiting on hardware engineers to fix it.

This sounds like a bug I had reported and gotten a fix for (which didn't
work every time) and is supposed to be in the newest jumbo release

The issue was that the media DB (nsrmmgd) wasn't ready in time to talk
to nsrd so the line of communication is gone - any volume is
unrecognized

This shows itself in two ways in my experience, either it continues to
label tapes and then can't use it (so another gets labelled...), or it
loads a labelled tape for use, reports some error and then ejects it
(and repeats...)

The original suggestion from EMC was to kill nsrmmgd (which
automatically restarts) but I just restart all services and 9/10 times
it works

HTH
Jerry