Networker

[Networker] Media Management

2007-03-20 06:48:49
Subject: [Networker] Media Management
From: Joe Lyons <joe.lyons AT ELINIA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:42:29 -0400
Hi Guys,

I'm a networker noob being more familiar with the NetBackup environment.
I have a question regarding some media management oddities I am seeing.

I have a Scalar 100 Library with 3 LTO-3 drives (400/800GB).  I have
labled up 20 slots of tapes for this months cycle, lets say for example
A01-A-20 (parrallelism is set to 12 so all three drives will be utilised
at once).

When I first started running the backups, 3 tapes (A01-A03) where mounted
in the drives and the backups ran fine.  After a few days these tapes
reached 100% (mode append).  So I therefore assumed (as in netbackup),
that on the next backup run, the EOT marker would be reached and that
networker would eject the tapes, mark them as full and import new media
into the drives.

This doesn't seem to be the case.  All media in the drives (still A01-A03)
is showing at 100%, all my backup seem to run ok (monitoring shows
successful backups with fileset information).  But tape usage figures
shown under Media->Volumes are as follows
A01 = 805GB, A02 = 735GB, A03 = 1875GB

Clearly something is wrong in my configuration.  A01-A02 look kind of
right, but A03 is way off.  I would have expected my backups to have
failed after the last tape reached over 800GB or the media management to
mount the next available media in the Volume pool.

Any ideas as to what might be happening ?