Networker

Re: [Networker] Media Management

2007-03-20 07:05:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Media Management
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:01:35 +0000
Joe Lyons wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm a networker noob being more familiar with the NetBackup environment. I have a question regarding some media management oddities I am seeing.

I have a Scalar 100 Library with 3 LTO-3 drives (400/800GB). I have labled up 20 slots of tapes for this months cycle, lets say for example A01-A-20 (parrallelism is set to 12 so all three drives will be utilised at once). When I first started running the backups, 3 tapes (A01-A03) where mounted in the drives and the backups ran fine. After a few days these tapes reached 100% (mode append). So I therefore assumed (as in netbackup), that on the next backup run, the EOT marker would be reached and that networker would eject the tapes, mark them as full and import new media into the drives.
This doesn't seem to be the case.  All media in the drives (still A01-A03)
is showing at 100%, all my backup seem to run ok (monitoring shows successful backups with fileset information). But tape usage figures shown under Media->Volumes are as follows A01 = 805GB, A02 = 735GB, A03 = 1875GB

Clearly something is wrong in my configuration. A01-A02 look kind of right, but A03 is way off. I would have expected my backups to have failed after the last tape reached over 800GB or the media management to mount the next available media in the Volume pool.

Any ideas as to what might be happening ?

The reason you are getting so much on the tapes is probably that you are getting very good compression rates. I doubt very much that anything is wrong. I frequently see LTO-2 tapes with >1TB written to them, so 1.9TB sounds possible for LTO-3.

The 100% figure is defined in relation to the volume default capacity used when the tapes were labelled. You can find this setting in the device resource. You may choose to increase the value of this based on your real world results, but even if you don't it won't affect the amount of data you can write to your tapes.