Networker

Re: [Networker] IBM versus Quantum versus HP LTO-3?

2007-01-30 10:23:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] IBM versus Quantum versus HP LTO-3?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:13:44 +0200
Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT wrote:
Yaron,

Trouble with an ADIC 1000? Inconceivable. You should have received "I
think" the first year of hardware tech support for free. After that you
have a pay a little.

  We have 8x5xNBD support for these.

We had an older Scalar 1000 with 5 DLT8000 drives which had the habit of banging the cartridges into the frame of the slot till it caused the write protect tab to switch to write protect and then (after ten failed attempts to put the miserable cartridge into its slot) throw it into the CAP. It took me months to figure that when I was next to the machine by chance when it was hitting on a poor cartridge.

We had this exact problem with the newer LTO-2 library. Suddenly, we started getting 'permission denied' messages for one of the cartridges. I had to go and switch the write protect tab back.

I can tell you that ADIC support is the best I have ever paid for...
Only support I have ever seen that was better was my own. (arm hurts
twisting my arm patting myself on the back like that)..

We are getting our support from a local vendor, not from ADIC directly, so I guess this explains some of the problems. Come to think of it, four years ago we got our support from NCR (ADIC were using their international support infrastructure in places they didn't have local offices).

This vendor had the habit of using ADIC's spare parts depot instead of having their own. This caused much delay when I was having a failed drive (up to four days till ADIC was convinced that the drive is indeed faulty and agreed to ship the new drive to the vendor).

Hey OS-Humor man, don't give up your day job just yet. <Grin> Although I
hear you on the OS thing, I am the sacrificial worker Bee, you know "Go
sting them and die" yeah that is me as a Bee here.

So OS decisions were not all mine. If all OS decisions were mine, Banyan
Vines (AT&T Unix Kernal) would still be the NOS of choice! We did more
with Banyan out of the box in 1996 than we are still able to do with
Windows 2003 in 2006. But we do not want to turn the list into a "Holy
OS war-L".

  No, we don't.

If it's any help I think we are using 53Y2 as well. What do you know
Solaris and Windows have the same driver versions. <Grin-Duck-Run>
Tomorrow is my last day here after that you would need to send an email
to my home.

  Good luck.

Semper Fidelis et Paratus! /ALE

I NET SPY at EarthLink dot net

No spaces iNetSpy is one word.

It appears I will be moving to the Army side of the Pentagon wish me
luck! /ALE

-- Yaron.