Networker

Re: [Networker] IBM versus Quantum versus HP LTO-3?

2007-01-30 07:03:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] IBM versus Quantum versus HP LTO-3?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:49:07 +0200
We have four IBM LTO-2 in an ADIC Scalar 1000 connected to a Sun 280R, Solaris 9 with dual LVD HBA (and before that to a 220R with Solaris 8). These were working with no apparent problem since day one. The technician that installed the library installed the IBM drivers (IBMtape) but didn't change its config file (/kernel/drv/IBMtape.conf), so we were using the Solaris st drivers for over a year before I found out and changed that to use the IBM driver. Both drivers were working OK. We are currently at firmware 53Y2, but we had no issues with all other revs we had in the past. The only issue, which is also mentioned in Legato's compatibility matrix, is that you cannot use the IBM driver and CDI at the same time. We did have about five drive failure during the three years of operation.

I downloaded the IBM driver from their web site and installed it with no apparent problem. Didn't bother with the vendor after their mistake with the initial installation. IBM's support site for tape drives is also comprehensive.

As for ADIC in general, I have no good things to say about these Scalar 1000 boxes (actually an EMASS-GRAU design). Wouldn't recommend them to anyone, but they are end-of-life for over a year now. Come to think of that, ADIC itself is also end-on-life for a couple of months now.

About your problem with the IBM drives, it seems that you forgot to install an operating system on the Legato server. Try Solaris next time.

(WARNING: This letter violates guideline 2.1.1(18) of RFC1855.)

Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT wrote:
George our experience here has been:

Avoid IBM for your tech support like the plague!

Go to your Library Manufacturer for support. The high dollar item is the
Drives not the library but I believe the responsible entity would be
your library manufacturer who sold the IBM components as an upgrade.
(That is how it worked with ADIC (now Quantum).

We (AFRPA) had a horrible time getting the IBM LTO-2 Drives working in
our ADIC; "BUT" ADIC Tech Support was GREAT not just good but GREAT and
once we got the drives working with the proper drivers for the drive
they are almost bullet proof!

By the way, when we started this whole thing with ADIC 2 years ago, they
TOLD US the exact same thing using the same phrase. "IBM drives are
flaky to get them to settle in but once they are working they are bullet
proof."

My experience mentioned here was IBM LTO-2 drives in an ADIC SCALAR 100
Library SCSI attached to Windows 2003 SP# server. So your mileage may
vary.

2 Days left and two more job offers this morning woo-hoo, they love
me...they really love me! <Grin>

Semper Fidelis et Paratus! /ALE

Eddie Albert, Enterprise Network Engineer
Air Force Real Property Agency
Cell: (703) 298-7737

-- Yaron.