Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with groups not starting

2006-08-14 12:05:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with groups not starting
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:04:48 -0400
And if you do a command line savegrp  (not autostart) from cron will
the problemed groups run?  If not, what is the error?   We've encountered
an older bug in 7.1.1 and get an error after a command line savegrp of
of the form "RAP root on backupserver does not have configure networker
priveleges".   This errot is on the std. error output after the savertp;
it is not logged in the daemon.log.

It does sound like your autostart update is not working though.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:00:39 -0400, Groth, Jonathan A
<jonathan.groth AT EDS DOT COM> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm having an odd problem with groups not starting.  Not only not
>starting, but not producing any messages at all.  I'll put in some
>background info below, but first, let me give the basics:
>
>NetWorker Server:  7.2.1
>OS:  Solaris 8
>Group's Autostart set to Enabled
>Schedule set to proper level (full) on the days in question
>

>Background (probably too much):
>
>Customer requires end-of-month backups to start at different times on
>different days. So, a couple ksh scripts were written to set the start
>times in advance, so that people wouldn't have to log in on weekends
>when end-of-month falls on those days.  First script takes input (group
>name, new start time, date you want the change to take place, the time
>the change takes place), then it creates a "script" with all the details
>nsradmin would need to do the deed, and finally it appends the input and
>the location of the nsradmin "script", all on one line, to a (what I
>call) control file.  Second script is run from cron * * * * * and checks
>that control file; when the change date and time match, the nsradmin
>"script" on that line is executed and voila! the group's start time is
>changed.  This works perfectly, from what I can see.  But...
>
>... sometimes (but not most of the time!) the groups that had their
>start time change wouldn't start!  At all!  No messages, nothing in the
>daemon.log, etc.  The times were successfully changed, sure, but when
>the time came, NetWorker just glided past it, doing nothing.  As I wrote
>above, the Groups were enabled just fine and the schedule level set.
>Also worth noting that the change time was set hours before the backup
>was scheduled to start, so that wasn't a conflict.  Also, this problem
>has never cropped up except in those groups changed by the script.  But,
>only 2 of the 20-30 group changes exhibited this behavior.  The rest ran
>to expectations...
>
>We've talked to EMC and they see no reason why this is happening, though
>they believe its caused somehow by the script(s).  I'm inclined to
>agree, given that this has appeared only when the script changes a
>group, but I would expect it to do the same to all of the groups
>changed, not a small percentage of them.  Its arbitrariness puzzles me.
>
>Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I can post/email my uglier-than-sin
>scripts, output, whatever, should anyone desire them.
>
>Thanks for reading!
>
>-Jon
>

>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
type "signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu
if you have any problems