Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help with client

2006-07-07 18:15:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help with client
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 18:09:48 -0400
OK, I have it now. Sorry to have been such a dummy. LOL!

As others have said, you can't have two clients with the same clientid or two clients with the same name, so you have to change the old client name to a new name, in which case that will then be assigned the clientid that the other old name was assigned to.

I simply queried the database for the client id for the client whose name I wanted to change back (dummy), created a new client with a different name (fred-old) and assigned it that same clientid. NetWorker then pops up a window that says: "Renaming client dummy to client freed-old. Reapply if this is desired." There's a brief hang time and then it finishes. I then removed fred-old from the listing. Next, I created another client named fred, which, of course, is assigned a different clientid. I then shutdown NetWorker, removed the client index for fred-old, and restarted. Now, the media database shows fred-old for all the save sets that were previously showing dummy, and fred shows nothing since it's not been backed up yet.

BTW is there a way to remove clients from the save set recover window? I have several of them that I created while I was messing around with all this, but I never backed up any data to them so there are no save sets, and there's nothing to query in the media database.

Stan Sander wrote:

George Sinclair wrote:

I created a new client named 'dummy' but gave this the same client id as 'fred'. fred is an old client that was taken off the backups a long time back and there's no longer a client entry or a /nsr/index entry for it. Now, when I query the media database for fred, it no longer shows up. When I query it for dummy, all the entries for what was fred now show 'dummy' as the client name.

How can I change this back?

I just want to have a new fred with a different client id than the old fred, but I still want the old fred to show up in the media database with its old client id and not dummy. Why can't NetWorker just make this easy by giving us a feature to make renaming easier! Sheesh!

George

What I just posted a minute ago actually won't work and I realized that after reading this post.

Do the standard renaming procedure (which is what you did above by creating the client dummy) only rename fred to something like old-fred, then create the new fred.

"signoff networker" in the