Networker

Re: [Networker] Hung savesets with 7.3

2006-03-28 16:09:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hung savesets with 7.3
From: Tim Nicholson <tim AT MAIL.USYD.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:06:19 +1100
We have this problem too, since upgrading to 7.3 (mainly with windows clients).
The biggest gripe is that I have found no way of killing the
individual client saves from the server.

Under earlier versions, (on a Unix server), each saveset is controlled by
a child process (nsrexec) of the savegrp process.  You could kill these
processes and have the group continue on. This is particularly important
if the backup server is part of the group, as it will still backup the
servers index and bootstrap.  With 7.3, I can only abort the group
which stops any remaining savesets from starting.

Also, I have found that the new scheduler does not obey the
parallelism rules.  The number of index saves can exceed the
group parallelism (by a very large number!!).