Networker

[Networker] RE : [Networker] how to speed up save process

2006-02-23 11:29:49
Subject: [Networker] RE : [Networker] how to speed up save process
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <Thierry.Faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:28:31 +0100
Well, root cause may come from different ways : in raw ....

It can be caused by client being too busy at CPU level or too high I/O level
or disk array in the storage back-end being saturated.

Using compression directives may also increase client-side %CPU
and reduce backup speed. Have a try to use directive without compression.
Data being backuped (compressible or not) may influence.

Give also a look at bigasm (cfr perf admin guide) for getting max speed
without taking CPU and IO into account.

Medium quality may also cause perf drop down. Too old tapes, dirty tape
device heads, .... may also have an influence. You may have a try using
new tape.

Check also Network duplex config and/or switch/hub %CPU Usage ....

HTH,

Th

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,
Thierry FAIDHERBE
HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato Enterprise Backup Solutions Consultant
*********     ********* HEWLETT - PACKARD
*******   h     ******* 1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
******   h       ****** 1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
*****   hhhh pppp *****
*****  h h p  p   ***** 100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
***** h h pppp    ***** 1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
******   p       ****** BELGIUM
*********     ********* Phone : +32 (0)2 / 729.85.42
                        Mobile : +32 (0)498/ 94.60.85
                        Fax : +32 (0)2 / 729.88.30
    I N V E N T         Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe(at)hp.com
                        Internet : http://www.hp.com/ <http://www.hp.com/>