Networker

Re: [Networker] mminfo Staging & cloning from adv_file

2005-11-15 19:50:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] mminfo Staging & cloning from adv_file
From: Roberta Gold <rgold AT LLNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:39:53 -0800
After much playing around with mminfo (because I need to also do this), I found if you put in the -q "written=0" it will choose the RO volume. If you put "written>0" it will choose the R/W volume. Took me all day to find it!!!

Implementing new backup hardware infrastructure for the organization I work
for (was complete last week).

A new networker option was added to this infrastructure, backup to disk
(adv_file) for  numerous benefits.

At this stage I am using the standard cloning and staging technique  within
networker.

I am now investigating scripting the cloning and staging processes.

System brief:

Networker 7.2.1
Redhat AS3
4 x disk devices

The first problem I ran across is this:

When you setup a disk device a read only device is also setup, for example:
 /nsrdisk/01    adv_file disk.01
 /nsrdisk/01/_AF_readonly  adv_file disk.01.RO

I want to clone the save sets from the disk devices, so I should use the
mminfo command for example: mminfo -avV -omt -r 'ssid' -q 'family=disk,
copies=1'
Returns: mminfo: no matches found for the query
But if I use the following command: mminfo -avV -omt -r 'ssid' -q
'family=disk, copies=2'
This command returns ssid information I am after, but from both devices (the
write and read devices) so I have duplicate ssid's returned.

Questions:

How do I use mminfo to query the disk devices and return only one ssid?
(I really don't want to put each device in the script, if the device setup
changes someone will have to remember to change the script)

Should I only clone from the read only devices?

The same questions apply to staging.

Thanks in advance.

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

Roberta Butcher Gold
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
ICC/HPSD - Security Technologies Group
gold11 AT llnl DOT gov