Networker

[Networker] Need help resolving a cloning error

2005-11-15 19:46:59
Subject: [Networker] Need help resolving a cloning error
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:41:07 -0500
Hi,

I have a tape I'd like to recycle, but I first wanted to make a copy of some (not all) of the save sets on the tape. I ran nsrclone for all of the save sets I wanted to save, and it worked for all but one of them. I cloned each save set as

nsrclone -s server -v -b clone_pool -S ssid

but received the following on the one culprit:

Automatically copying save sets(s) to other volume(s)

Starting cloning operation...
 ...from storage node: snode
nsrclone: error, can not read record 0 of file 488 on LTO Ultrium tape LTO026
nsrclone: Cannot open nsrclone session with server
nsrclone: Failed to clone any save sets

I notice that the original save set is now marked suspect. It wasn't before, however. I did not try save set recover because I figured I'd have the same problems as I did when I tried to clone it. I then tried scanner, hoping I could recover the save set to disk and then back it up to another tape, thinking scanner might try harder, but I received errors (see below). I didn't pipe it to uasm, just tried to run as is and see what it would do.

1. Is the recommended approach to attempt to use scanner to try to read the save set if cloning fails? Maybe something like: scanner -s server -S ssid -f device | uasm -rv -m /saveset=/recover_path

2. Will scanner move to the section of the tape where the save set starts if you specify -S ssid or will it just read from the beginning of the tape?

3. Can the tape be mounted via NetWorker if you run scanner against it or must it be merely loaded (manually with no NetWorker mount) for scanner to work properly?

output from scanner:

/usr/recover_test# scanner -S ssid /dev/nst3
scanner: scanning 8mm 5GB tape LTO026 on /dev/nst3
scanner: fn 2 rn 0 read error Input/output error
scanner: fn 2 rn 0 read error Input/output error
scanner: done with 8mm 5GB tape LTO026

After seeing this error, I then tried the following:

/usr/recover_test# /usr/sbin/scanner -inpv /dev/nst3 -s server
scanner: using 'rd=snode:/dev/nst3' as the device name
scanner: Opened /dev/nst3 for read
scanner: Rewinding...
scanner: Rewinding done
scanner: Reading the label...
scanner: Reading the label done
scanner: scanning LTO Ultrium tape LTO026 on rd=snode:/dev/nst3
scanner: volume id 525223937 record size 65536
 created  1/10/03 22:50:48 expires  1/09/05 22:50:48
scanner: LTO Ultrium tape LTO026 already exists in the media index
scanner: Rewinding...
scanner: Rewinding done
scanner: setting position from fn 0, rn 0 to fn 2, rn 0
scanner: Opened /dev/nst3 for read
scanner: fn 2 rn 0 read error Input/output error
scanner: Opened /dev/nst3 for read
scanner: fn 2 rn 0 read error Input/output error
scanner: Opened /dev/nst3 for read
scanner: done with LTO Ultrium tape LTO026

scanner: Rewinding...
scanner: Rewinding done

I should note that I made sure that the tape was not mounted by NetWorker. I manually loaded the tape into the drive, so I know it was at the beginning of the tape before I ran scanner. If it won't handle this then seems the tape might be bad?

Thanks.

George

"signoff networker" in the