Networker

Re: [Networker] Can NetWorker send a page as a notify?

2005-01-04 16:23:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can NetWorker send a page as a notify?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:22:13 -0500
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Winslowe Lacesso wrote:

>Just to clarify, asking about if Legato can do paging notify is for
>detecting serious backup troubles over long weekends (or 24Dec to 29Dec!)

NetWorker does not have that capability built in, but if you
run a system monitoring package such as Big Brother which can
monitor your NetWorker server for specific events, then you
can set up your monitoring software to receive NetWorker events
and then your monitoring software can trigger paging events.

This is what we do here and it works nicely. The trick is to
get NetWorker to talk to your system monitoring software. We
do that by using the notification field in each NetWorker client
entry to email the savegroup notifications to our Big Brother
server, then our Big Brother server spawns a page to our paging
server if any errors or alerts are found.

I mention Big Brother because its what we use here, but other
packages such as IBM's Tivoli can presumably be used to do
something similar.