Networker

[Networker] Recovering a whole saveset versus a piece?

2004-12-21 19:54:56
Subject: [Networker] Recovering a whole saveset versus a piece?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:57:56 -0500
Curious here.

Let's suppose I have a save set instance that's 10 GB. If I recover the
whole thing versus, say, a specific pathname, will they both take the
same time, assuming I let the recover in both cases run all the way
through?

Originally, I was thinking it would since it still has to read all the
data in the save set. Of course, if you're recovering a specific path,
you could cancel the recovery once you're sure you have everything, and
that would obviously save time, but unless you were sure, you'd wanna
ride it all the way out, so seems in that case since it has to read
through the whole thing anyway, it would take the same amount of time?
Also, if you did provide a pathname, it can't know that it's reached the
desired path unless it de-multiplexes the streams anyway so, again,
doesn't sound like much difference in time?

Thanks.

George