Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering a whole saveset versus a piece?

2004-12-21 20:34:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering a whole saveset versus a piece?
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:13:36 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Recovering a whole saveset versus a piece?,...:

Curious here.

Let's suppose I have a save set instance that's 10 GB. If I recover the
whole thing versus, say, a specific pathname, will they both take the
same time, assuming I let the recover in both cases run all the way
through?

Probably not, especially if this isn't a local recover.

Assuming you're talking about a saveset recover in both cases, it should
still be faster to limit the recovery to a pathname because NetWorker
won't have to send 9 GB of unneeded data over the network for the client
to recreate.  If you have a fast network and you're recovering to
a speedy client with decent I/O, the difference between the two scenarious
will probably be very small, but there will likely be a difference.

For a slow client, the difference could be quite significant, and should
always favor the limited saveset recover.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu