Networker

[Networker] Some questions on Auto media verify

2004-07-23 15:42:26
Subject: [Networker] Some questions on Auto media verify
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:44:32 -0400
Hello,

I had a few questions on the "Auto media verify" option under the pools
window.

1. Does enabling this option actually accomplish any validity checking?
I remember a few people in the past remarking that it was really more of
a waiving of the vermouth and didn't amount to much.

2. What, if any mminfo attribute is this associated with?

3. If a savegroup notification indicates one or more savesets without
the preceding 'V', should you re-run them? How much credence can you
place in the presence of the 'V'.

4. Clearly, the presence of the 'V' is a good thing, but certainly no
guarantee as we found out recently wherein a saveset was reported with
the 'V' but was actually 'suspect'.

We do occasionally see savesets reported without the 'V'. Most of time,
they're there but not always. I'm unclear of what the absence of the 'V'
means, and what, if any action I should take? Maybe check the clflags
value for presence of 's' (suspect), or maybe I should check this value
for all savesets regardless and just ignore the 'V' thing all together?

Thanks.

George